Friday, November 23, 2007

Duke Blackin Bratcher

Duke Blackin Bratcher. He was my best friend. I was his master, trainer, teacher, but most importantly HIS friend. I remember everyday after school I would put my play cloths on and go see Duke. Duke was a full blooded Lab. Duke was a really smart dog, he knew the basic tricks and sat down when he ate his food. I took advantage of teaching my dog, because I taught Duke how to play football. Is that impossible? Let me break it down for you. . .

Duke and I would be seprated about twenty yards about from each other. I would throw the ball in front of him so he could run and scoop it. Well after he grap the ball, he would always look up to see were I was at so he could "let me" tackle him. Duke wouldn't run directly at me, but he would slow down his pace so I could get a good shot. Now I'm not going to lie, sometimes I tackled Duke a little to hard. He would then answer the next rep with an untouched touchdown.

I really haven't lost anybody that I was close too. But when my father gave my best friend away, all I could answer with was tears. He was so loyal to me. Duke was equal with me. What happened was I was unable to see Duke during a short time period because of football. Well we had a weekend off and I decided to let Duke come and hang out in my room. Duke laid on the bed when I was watching television and would sit next to my chair when I was on the computer.

When school came around again, I had to put him back in his pen. Duke's pen was at least two acres and all fenced in with a medium size shed to live in. In less then twenty-four hours Duke had got out of his pen eighteen times, because he wanted to spend time with me. My father tried everything from spreading pepper on the ground to shooting him with a bb gun to come him down. Most dogs would wonder off and explore but not Duke, because he would go straight to the front door and sit. When I was sleeping that night, I heard him laying outside of my window.

My father had enough and gave Duke away to some crazy women. The last I heard was that the "crazy" women got tired of him after a month and gave him to a farm. Everyday I think about him and the impact he had on my life as a young teenager. I still hope one day we will meet again. Best Friend to Best Friend.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Really great post. I had a dog just like that. Aslan. We had to put him down because he became blind and bit a fat yucky lady who rented one of our properties. She said she'd move out if we didn't get rid of the dog. I'll never forget it.

Anonymous said...

That made me think of a neighborhood dog that I took in. I took her to get shots and everything. After like 4 months, my mom gave her away while I was at school. She said the owners came but we didn't post any fliers. I was mad. I always think of "Brown"

btpashby said...

This reminds me of the dog I have now. Dogs are awesome and I dread the day that he passes.

aoski said...

This reminded me of my neighbor's dog. The exact same thing happend to him, but he was kind of a trouble maker. Hope you get to see your dog again some day.

RiCuS said...

Awww....this is sad! I had a dog when I was young too. My mother him away also. It was probably because he tried to eat me! lol...so friend he was!!